Agenda: StartupHPC-15 in Austin, TX
(This page will be kept to up to date to reflect the latest agenda.)
Registrations are now open for our second annual gathering. StartupHPC-15 will be held on Nov. 16th in Austin as we track SC’15. We are very excited about another awesome agenda, great speakers, and insightful advice. Be there!
Video clips of last year’s event are available with registration for this year’s conference or by subscription. If you are a student, please contact us for a 60% discount code.
The agenda builds on what we covered last year. As before, our focus is on practical and insightful advice delivered by people who have personal and deep experience. This time, the framework is as follows:
- The “Get-Funded” Framework. What needs to get done? How the pieces relate to each other? How do you clear the hurdles?
- Case study: follow a success story from seed funding to incubation and initial networking to launch.
- Target markets: what are the hot market segments that need your HPC/STEM expertise and mindset? What are the key application areas? And how STEM/HPC can help.
- Marketing: what is it and when do you need it?
- Learning from Failure! We select 3 companies and discuss what they did wrong. [Let us know if you’d like us to discuss/analyze a particular company.]
- First person stories and CEO panel. How did they take the plunge? What did they learn? How can we learn from their experience?
- Extra Credit: open Q&A with select speakers after the official close of the conference. Stay if you can.
As last year, we’re honored to have such prominent invited speakers. Their enthusiasm to participate is an indication of how much fun we’re all going to have listening to them and interacting with them.
|8:30 am||Registration & Mixer|
|9:00 am||Eye Opener and Today’s Agenda||Steve Campbell (MC for the event)||Partner, OrionX|
|9:05 am||The “Get-Funded” Framework: From Idea to Launch||Shahin Khan||Partner, OrionX|
|9:15 am||Entrepreneur Ecosystem: Grooming for Growth||Mellie Price||MD/Fund Director & GP, Capital Factory, and Founder/CEO, Front Gate Tickets|
|9:40 am||Incubators: Cultivating Ideas||Blake Yaeger||Managing Director, TechStars|
|10:05 am||Founder Stories: BitFusion||Subbu Rama||CEO, BitFusion.io|
|10:30 am||Break & Mixer|
|10:40 am||Hot Markets, Key Apps, Core Algorithms||Peter ffoulkes||Industry Insight & Advisory, Partner, OrionX|
|11:05 am||The “Inside” Scoop: Signs Your Pitch Won’t Stick||Rich Brueckner||President, Inside-HPC Media|
|11:15 am||Go to Market: Vision & Value Proposition||Shahin Khan||Partner, OrionX|
|11:40 am||Digital Marketing: Essentials in Engagement||Kim McMahon||CEO, McMahon Consulting|
|12:05 pm||Founder Stories: Virtual Bridges||Leo Reiter||CTO, Nimbix/former Founder, Virtual Bridges|
|12:30 pm||Lunch & Mixer|
|1:15 pm||Building Your Base: Landing Early Customers||Dale Geldart||Startup Executive/former CEO eXludus Technologies|
|1:40 pm||Learning from Failure: 3 Companies (interactive)||Dan Olds||Principal, Gabriel Consulting Group, and
Contributing Editor, The Register
|2:10 pm||CxO Probe: Q&A Panel||Dr. Stephen Perrenod (Moderator)
(Panel to be announced)
|2:55 pm||Founder Stories: WhamCloud||Brent Gorda||Intel, and Founder, WhamCloud|
|3:20 pm||Session Wrap & Staying in touch||Shahin Khan||Partner, Orion Advisors|
|3:30 pm||Break & Mixer|
|3:35pm||Extra Credit: Group Discussion, Q&A (Stay if you can!)||Select Speakers|
See you all in Austin!