Agenda: StartupHPC-16 in Salt Lake City
(This page will be kept to up to date to reflect the latest agenda.)
Registrations are now open for our third annual gathering. StartupHPC-16 will be held on Nov. 14th in Salt Lake City as we track SC16. It promises to be our strongest gathering with a distinguished roster of speakers and an exciting agenda. Be there!
Video clips of previous years’ events are available to all visitors without a registration or pay wall.
If you are a student or cannot be there for the whole day, please use the free Drop-In ticket category.
Building on the success of last year’s event, StartupHPC-16 focuses on hot markets, funding, building a company, and case studies
- HPC Fund: who invests in HPC-inspired start ups? What does it take to have a fund focused on HPC?
- Markets: what are the emerging technology disruptions and what are the hot market segments that need your HPC expertise and mindset? We’ll cover AI, IoT, Security, and other growing segments as well as opportunities in Data Center and Cloud.
- Champions: this year, StartupHPC will champion a few selected startups! We’ll cover the process and progress.
- Group discussion: new this year, this is a session that is focused on active audience participation to discuss and advance the community and raise awareness for top-of-mind issues.
- First person stories and CEO panel: How did they take the plunge? What did they learn? How can we learn from their experience?
- Case study: follow a success story from seed funding to incubation and initial networking to launch.
StartupHPC-16 speakers represent a very distinguished group of experts the combine entrepreneurship, technology depth, and market insight. We are really pleased with the agenda:
|8:00 am||Registration & Mixer|
|8:30 am||Eye Opener and Today’s Agenda||Steve Campbell (MC for the event)||Partner, OrionX|
|8:40 am||StartupHPC Outlook, Champions Program||Shahin Khan||Partner, OrionX|
|8:50 am||Technology Disruptions & Opportunities||John Gustafson||Scientist, Author, Entrepreneur|
|9:35 am||General Management Techniques for Startup CEOs||Mark Canepa||Worldwide Pre-sale, Service & Support, DDN|
|10:00 am||Break & Mixer|
|10:20 am||Market Forces and Emerging Opportunities||Debra Goldfarb||Chief Analyst/Market Intelligence, Intel, Pioneering HPC Analyst|
|10:50 am||CxO Panel: Getting it off the ground||Andy Lawrence
Founder & CEO, FlyElephant
|11:40 am||Founder Stories: UberCloud Progress Report||Burak Yenier & Wolfgang Gentzsch||Co-Founders, UberCloud|
|12:50 pm||Emerging Disruption in Systems||Gary Grider||Division Leader, HPC, Los Alamos National Laboratories|
|1:20 pm||Founder stories: Versity||Bruce Gilpin||Co-Founder, Versity|
|1:40 pm||Founder Stories: DriveScale||Tom Lyon||Co-Founder, DriveScale, Nuova Systems, Founder Ipsilon Networks|
|2:00 pm||Break, Mixer, Q+A|
|2:20 pm||Towards a Fund Focused on HPC||Shahin Khan||Partner, OrionX|
|2:30 pm||Sources of Funding for HPC-Inspired Startups||Meghan McClelland||Angel Investor, Exascale expert, HPC Practitioner|
|3:00 pm||State of the Market & Customer Challenges||Earl Joseph||IDC Program VP and Exec Director of HPC Forum|
|3:35 pm||Session Wrap & Staying in Touch||Shahin Khan||Partner, OrionX|
- John Gustafson, Scientist, Entrepreneur, and Author of “The End of Error: Unum Computing”
- Gary Grider, Division Leader of High Performance Computing at Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Debra Goldfarb, Chief Analyst at Intel Corporation and pioneering HPC market analyst
- Mark Canepa, Worldwide VP of Pre-sale, Service & Support, DDN, and former CEO of Extreme Networks, EVP of Storage for Sun Microsystems
- Earl Joseph, IDC Program Vice President and Executive Director HPC User Forum
- Tom Lyon, Co-Founder of DriveScale, Founder of Nuova systems whose acquisition by Cisco led to the successful UCS servers and Nexus switches, and Employee #8 at Sun Microsystems.
- Manuel Arenaz, Founder of Appentra
- Bruce Gilpin, Co-Founder of Versity
- Burak Yenier and Wolfgang Gentzsch, Founders of UberCloud
- Meghan Wingate McClelland, Angel Investor, exascale strategist, HPC practitioner
- Andy Lawrence, Founder, Didgets
- Dmitry Spodarets, Founder & CEO, FlyElephant
We’re honored to have such prominent invited speakers. Their enthusiasm to participate is an indication of how much fun we’re all going to have listening to them and interacting with them. Additinal speakers will be announced together with a detailed agenda.
Register early to take advantage of Early Bird pricing! And help spread the word: please share.
See you at the Grand America – Monday, 14 November, 2016
Come to see the success stories of Parallware Trainer in Emerging Technologies at SC16 - Appentra
November 8, 2016 @ 6:17 am
[…] Talk in StartupHPC: StartupHPC is a grass roots community for STEM- and HPC-inspired entrepreneurs, corporations, venture capital firms, academia, etc. The talk is about CxO Panel: Getting it off the ground. You can listen the first person stories and CEO panel, How did they take the plunge? What did they learn? How can we learn from their experience? Manuel Arenaz will be one of the three speakers in this session. At The Grand America Hotel 555 Main St, Monday 14th, 8 a.m – 4 p.m. […]
Appentra at SC16 in Salt Lake City, Utah - Appentra
November 9, 2016 @ 11:14 am
[…] StartupHPC: StartupHPC is a grass roots community for STEM- and HPC-inspired entrepreneurs, corporations, venture capital firms, academia, etc. The talk is about CxO Panel: Getting it off the ground. At The Grand America Hotel 555 Main St, Monday 14th, 8 a.m – 4 p.m. […]